Ricardo to Achieve Net Zero-Emissions for Worldwide Operations by 2030
For more than a century, Ricardo has built a reputation for problem-solving, serving customers around the globe by designing and engineering innovative products in every facet of transportation. We have a passion for engineering solutions.
When it comes to the environment and sustainability, we help our customers look at propulsion differently—at how to achieve ecological and workable energy storage, consumption and deployment. We focus on the next generation—a greener generation.
The same strategic blueprint applies to our internal operations.
In September 2020, parent company Ricardo plc announced its commitment to have our worldwide operations achieve net zero-carbon emissions by 2030.
“…There is an increasing need for companies to contribute to the global effort to achieve the Paris Agreement targets,” said Ricardo CEO Dave Shemmans. “We have continued to deliver on our environmental commitments whilst responding to the challenges of COVID-19. From these challenges we have gained additional insights, particularly related to the application of our ‘digital-first’ strategy, which has been instrumental to our management of operations through the pandemic as well as resulting in a reduction in travel. In air travel in particular, the past year has seen our carbon footprint reduced by a full two thirds.
“The net zero commitment being made by Ricardo firmly underscores our guiding ethos of creating a more sustainable world that is fully fit for the future.”
Ricardo Net Zero 2030 Strategies Include:
- Maximizing our use of renewable energy
- Assuring our offices in Detroit, Chicago, Silicon Valley, San Diego and around the globe are more energy- and space-efficient as well as providing flexible work conditions for employees
- Maximizing a “digital-first” strategy that limits unnecessary business travel
- Using verified offsetting measures to balance residual emissions
- Implementing Science-Based Targets (in conjunction with the latest climate science goals of the Paris Agreement) that establish a verifiable route to greenhouse gas emissions and limit global warming to well below two degrees Celsius.
“With support from our CEO, Ricardo North America is laser-focused on being an example for how a true global environmental should act—internally and on behalf of our customers,” says Ricardo North America President Marques McCammon. “Specific to the transportation sector, which is in upheaval as it seeks to cross the chasm to carbon neutral mobility, we serve as specialists in clean mobility technologies. Ricardo’s advanced propulsion, software and thermal expertise is helping bridge that chasm and advance the transition to more sustainable living.”